This nice Thomas Bros. map provides a snapshot of the town of Sausalito in an era of immense change brought by the opening of the Golden Gate Bridge in May 1937. The map is oriented based on the shape of the town, with southwest at top. It extends from the area of Old Town, with its numbered street grid, along the waterfront past downtown/ferry pier to North Sausalito (New Town).
Across New Town is written Sausalito Land and Ferry Co., which was originally formed in 1868 after acquiring the majority of Rancho del Sausalito the town’s founder, William Richardson.
The Northwestern Pacific Railroad operated a ferry service to Sausalito at which passengers would switch to one of their trains. The map shows the railroad line running from the waterfront and cutting between Calcedonia and Humboldt Ave. The Northwestern Pacific would be another casualty of the automobile age and closed its Sausalito terminal in March 1941. The original line of the railroad would eventually become that of today’s Bridgeway Ave.
Humboldt, Donahue, and Railroad Ave. all no longer exist, and we suspect that much of this area was speculative – water lots targeted for development that never took place.
On the back are two additional maps: Map of Bay Counties and Thomas Bros Map Showing New Developments in San Francisco Bay Region. Issued compliments of the Sausalito Chamber of Commerce.