Attractive and significant map, one of the first to show internal features of the Arabian Peninsula.
Mountains are depicted, oases denoted by trees, and a single wild camel roams the desert. The Red Sea is denoted by three Latin names: Mare Rubrum (Red Sea), Mare Mecca (Sea of Mecca), and Sinus Arabicus (Gulf of Arabia).
The large hand-colored pictorial cartouche depicts traders, cherubim and camels; four sailing ships are to the south and east of the peninsula. This map appeared only in the last five editions of Blaeu’s Atlas Maior, between 1661 and 1672.
Latin text on verso.
Provenance: P.J. Radford, 1972.