Decorative map with original color in outline shows the Red Sea and in-set maps of Mombasa in Kenya and the island Perim in the Bab-el-Mandeb between Yemen on the Arabian Peninsula.
The map was published by Pierre Mortier (1661-1711), one of the most commercially successful map publishers of his time, who opened his own cartography enterprise in 1690. Operating in Amsterdam, Mortier benefitted from the Dutch Republic’s highly developed print market and liberal censorship laws. Mortier formed a partnership with his brother David, but maintained a dominant role in the relationship.
Following Pierre Mortier’s death in 1711, his firm was maintained for a decade by his heirs. In 1721, the firm was rolled into the partnership of Johannes Covens and Cornelis Mortier. From its headquarters at the Vijgendam in Amsterdam, the firm issued numerous full feature atlases and separately-issued maps predicated on the latest sources, including those relating to current events such as the Ottoman-European Wars, including the Black Sea region.