William Eddy

William Eddy, surveyor for the town of San Francisco, created this first street map of the city in 1849. Only three years prior to the publication of the map, the United States had taken possession of the portion of California including San Francisco, and the next year, in 1847, an ordinance changed the city’s name from Yerba Buena to San Francisco. That same year, Jasper O’Farrell completed a survey of San Francisco covering 800 acres to Leavenworth and Fourth streets.

Showing all 1 result