A rare proof state of Pierre Jacotin’s famous map of Palestine. Text on this issue has not yet been filled-in. The map has been updated by Jean van de Cotte and includes information gardened during expeditions of Napoleon, Murat, and Klér.
Supported by the fortune of his parents and assisted by his brother, Jean-Francois Vandermaelen built a spacious geographical Institute in 1829, in which he installed a map-drawing section, a library and a museum.
The map features a large inset plan of Jerusalem. Lithographed by Ch. Swolfs.