This beautiful 1867 lithograph of Salt Lake City, Utah illustrates the city as it appeared only twenty years following the arrival of the Mormons in 1847, showing its remarkable development in such a short time. Inger’s view down Main Street shows the Rocky Mountains in the background and the Great Salt Lake to the right. The Mormon Temple and Tabernacle are prominent at center, as is Brigham Young’s House (the Beehive House) and the old City Hall. Pasturelands fill the foreground and stage coaches ply the main thoroughfare.
This extremely rare image was drawn by Christian Inger, a lithographer from Philadelphia. It was published by Philip Ritz of Walla Walla, then in Washington Territory, and also in Philadelphia by J. Toudy. Only a few examples of this original 1867 issue are known, with most held in instructional collections. Most of the examples of this view that have been identified by OCLC refer to a 1969 photographic reprint issued in Ithaca, New York, by Historic Urban Plans from an original in the Amon Carter Museum of Western Art, Fort Worth, Texas.