This is an extremely important map for San Francisco history and urban development, created just after the lands outside the 1851 Charter line were turned over to the city of San Francisco following years of legal disputes.
For a more detailed look, please see our video essay: https://youtu.be/YCeDvWK5CCk
Today we think of the “Outside Lands” as the part of the city west of the dividing line at Divisadero St. (hence the name); namely, what is now the Richmond and Sunset, Golden Gate Park, and smaller adjacent neighborhoods. But it is interesting to note an area on the southeast of the map comprising part of Potrero Hill that is also designated as “outside.”
For its part, from 1852 to 1866, the west side was the focus of intense legal battles, fought in parallel. There was at the same time a fight over whether the land belonged to the U.S. government or the City of San Francisco, as well as a fight over individual ownership of land plots at the private level. The undercurrent of these battles was the fact that this land was ceded as part of the conclusion of the Mexican-American War by Mexico not to California (which wasn’t yet a state), but to the U.S. federal government.
The Outside Lands Act of 1866 ruled in favor of the city, confirming that this land was part of San Francisco. This ruling set the stage for Order no. 800, mentioned in the title of our map, in which the board of supervisors decided on some of the legal implications of the Outside Lands Act.
The map identifies the following members of Committee — each with a street named after him or her:
Chas. H. Stanyan
Golden Gate Park and Buena Vista Park are located but labeled only Park. Two unlabeled lines, one dotted and one solid, run irregularly through the Sunset District; the former represents a line of sand drift and the latter traces the Spring Valley Flume that came in from San Mateo County.