Second Biennial Report of the San Francisco Park Commissioners, 1872-73
San Francisco Commissioners report with two maps of Golden Gate Park.
Important San Francisco commissioners report with two maps showing the Golden Gate Park, recording the development of the park in the early 1870s.
In the 1860s, San Franciscans began to feel the need for a spacious public park similar to Central Park, which was then taking shape in New York City. Golden Gate Park was carved out of unpromising sand and shore dunes that were known as the Outside Lands, in an unincorporated area west of San Francisco’s then-current borders. In 1865, Frederick Law Olmsted proposed a plan for a park using native species suited for San Francisco’s dry climate; however, the proposal was rejected in favor of a Central Park-style park needing extensive irrigation. Conceived ostensibly for recreation, the underlying purpose of the park was housing development and the westward expansion of the city. The tireless field engineer William Hammond Hall prepared a survey and topographic map of the park site in 1870 and became its commissioner in 1871. He was later named California’s first state engineer and developed an integrated flood control system for the Sacramento Valley. The park drew its name from nearby Golden Gate Strait.
One map in color (20.5 x 72 cm) shows the eastern half of the park, from the end of the Panhandle at Broderick Street to 20th Avenue, with roads, buildings and topography.
The uncolored outline map (20.5 x 62.5 cm) shows the western half of the park from 20th Avenue to the Pacific Ocean.
At the title page there is slip reading “Compliments of J.T. Fleming, Secretary Park Commission.” Bookplate of Roger K. Larson on inside front wrapper. Printed by B.F. Sterett, Steam Book and Job Printer.
Wrappers worn, lower corners of front wrapper and title-page creased, top corner of front wrapper torn off; ill-creasing to maps. 96 pp.; errata slip. With 2 folding maps (1 in color); engraved plate, original printed wrappers.