Neatlinemaps Categories
  • Reset

Categories

  • Reset

Detailed 1907 Britton & Rey lithograph of South San Francisco.

Place/Date: San Francisco / 1907
$1,500.
Title: Map Showing Property of South San Francisco Land and Improvement Co at South San Francisco, San Mateo County, California
Technique
Lithograph
Dimensions
68.5 x 48.8 cm (27 x 19.25 in)
Identifier
NL-00142
Coloring
Original color
Condition Rating
VG

Description

Map of South San Francisco with an inset of the peninsula from South San Francisco to the Golden Gate and the East Bay.

The site of the South San Francisco was selected by G. F. Swift and purchased by Peter Iler of Omaha in 1890, in order to replicate the cattle stockyards and marketplaces common in Omaha. They partnered with some Chicago backers and formed two joint stock corporations, one named South San Francisco Land and Improvement Company, while the other branch was known as the Western Meat Company.

Compiled and Drawn by Punnett Bros. Lithographed by Britton & Rey.

Cartographer(s)

Britton & Rey

Joseph Britton (1825 – July 18, 1901) was a lithographer, the co-founder of prominent San Francisco lithography studio Britton and Rey, and a civic leader in San Francisco, serving as a member of the Board of Supervisors and helping to draft a new city charter.

In 1852 he became active in lithography and publishing, first under the name Pollard and Britton, and then Britton and Rey, a printing company founded with his friend and eventual brother-in-law Jacques Joseph Rey. Britton and Rey became known as the premier lithographic and engraving studio of the Gold Rush era, producing letter sheets, maps, and artistic prints.

South San Francisco Land & Improvement Co.

Condition Description

Old folds, a few repaired tears, some spotting in places; very good overall.

References

No copies of the map are located by OCLC/WorldCat.

Shopping cart

No products in the cart.