A sought after, highly attractive and decorative sheet that shows three maps arranged around a large compass rose.
This work represents Tirion’s version of a map that was first executed by De la Tour in 1720, two years after New Orleans was officially founded.
In the left half of the plate is a plan of the city of New Orleans (corresponding roughly to the current French Quarter district) with a depiction of its protective canal, quays, and barracks.
Two smaller maps make up the right half. One is a map of the vicinity of New Orleans, including the delta region and surrounding bayou. The third map depicts the location of Fort la Balise, which sank into the marsh lands towards the end of the 18th century.