D. Diagram: of Tampa Land District.

A mid-19th century Florida land survey map published a decade after statehood.

Date: 1855
Place: Baltimore
Dimensions: 28 x 42 cm (11 x 16.5 in)
Condition Rating: VG+

Out of stock

SKU: NL-01058 Category:

Description

This is an official Florida Land Office survey map depicting the Tampa Land District and covering an area stretching from the Florida Keys and the everglades north to Merritt Island. This would also include today’s Chassahowitzka Wildlife Refuge.

The map was published in 1855, just a decade after Florida became the 27th state of the United States of America. Darker days were just around the corner, however: within just six years, on January 10th, 1861, Florida would secede from the Union in response to the election of Abraham Lincoln as President.

Cartographer(s):

A. Hoen & Co.

A. Hoen & Co. was a Baltimore, Maryland-based lithography firm founded by Edward Weber in the 1840s as E. Weber & Company. When August Hoen took it over following Weber’s death, he changed the name and built the company into one of the most prominent in the industry at the time.

General Land Office

The General Land Office (GLO) was the independent government agency in charge of public lands. Created in 1812, it took over responsibility for public domain lands from the Department of the Treasury. Hitherto, the Treasury had done a decent job of overseeing the many surveys that were needed to map the lands of the Louisiana Purchase, including those taking place in the Northwest Territory. However, as land was added to the United States at an impressive rate in the 19th century, the government needed a new agency dedicated to surveying and planning the new lands. The establishment was a huge success, and over time the GLO would become responsible for surveying, mapping, and selling most of the land west of the Mississippi (except Texas). 

In 1849, the GLO came under the auspices of the Secretary of the Interior, an office created that same year. Here it stayed until the creation of the Forest Service more than half a century later (1905). This made sense, since the GLO had been the office responsible for managing forested lands that had been extracted from the public domain, but remained the property of the State.

In addition to managing and selling land, the GLO conducted large scale surveys and produced maps and plans of the areas in question. In 1946, the GLO merged with the United States Grazing Service to become the Bureau of Land Management.

Condition Description

Beautiful hand color. Edge unevenly cut, some wear along fold lines.

References