Plat of the Sutro Gift for a Highway
1897 proposal for new rights of way around Laguna Honda reservoir
Out of stock
Two maps on one sheet illustrating a proposed rights of way on lands given to the city by Adolf Sutro. The city was requesting to extend thoroughfares on land owned by the Spring Valley Water Works and the A. K. P. Harmon Estate, in the area of Laguna Honda Reservoir. This proposal led to the creation of today’s Laguna Honda Blvd and Claredon Ave.
Among the interesting features depicted on this late 19th century map are the little-known Trocadero Creek, which runs under the Sunset District to Pine Lake, a small body of water near Stern Grove, and Alms House Tract, named for the important infirmary located where Laguna Honda Hospital is today.
Overall, this map represents the way in which this area transitioned in form from the 19th to the 20th century.
Folding map. Good paper. Small hole at top center.
San Francisco Municipal Reports, 1898, p. 205.