Ganz neu aufgenommener und einzig richtiger Plander Hauptstadt Prag in Böhmen
Out of stock
The jewel of Bohemia: a rare town plan of Prague on the eve of Jüttner.
This beautiful and rare early 19th century plan of Prague presents a detailed cadastral view of the old walled city. This is a snapshot of the urban layout of Prague as it had been since the medieval period, before the rapid expansion beyond the city walls that took place soon after this map was published.
The winding course of the Vltava River runs up the center of the map, dividing the city in two. In the middle stands the famous Charles Bridge, the only means of crossing the river until 1841.
The cartographer has elegantly used shading and hatching to depict the topography of the city, especially heights on the left bank, from which magnificent Hradcany Castle controlled the city. Much of what today we call the ‘Old City’ is recognizable on the plan, with its public squares, markets, and churches.
This work represents the beginning of a transition in the historical mapping of Prague, and it was soon followed by the 1818 publication of Josef Jüttner’s scientific master survey of the city.
Folding map in 16 segments, now professionally flattened. Light staining along the right of center vertical fold.