Map of the Old Saucelito Land and Dry Dock Co.’s Lands Showing the Property for Sale at Auction By Maurice Dore & Co. Auctioneers Tuesday July 22nd 1873
Rare 1873 Sausalito property map with old town spelling.
Early advertising map of Sausalito announcing land sales in the area around Main Street, with new streets planned beyond the original shoreline.
The map is oriented with west at the top and identifies lots to be sold at auction by Maurice Dore & Co. in July of 1873. The numbered lots are between Main Street and Story Avenue, which was just north of North Street but is not on modern maps.
“Saucelito” comes from Spanish, meaning “little willow grove.” The alternate spelling of “Sausalito” proved more popular and the town post office officially adopted the latter version in 1887.
The initial land grant of Saucelito was awarded to William Richardson, one of the most important figures in 19th century San Francisco and Marin County history. Richardson built a house at today’s Second and Valley Streets. He eventually fell into debt and sold much of the land comprising Old Saucelito.
In 1868, the Saucelito Land and Ferry Company was established to draw the attention of prospective settlers. The company purchased about 1,200 acres situated on the south side of Richardson’s Bay and divided it into town lots and country seats, laying out a street grid. The company also established a ferry line to and from San Francisco.
The first building erected in the new town was the Saucelito Hotel in 1869. This was soon followed by a two-story hotel and general store near the ferry landing erected by James Greene. A post office was established on December 12, 1870.
OCLC WorldCat (#24330504) shows only two institutional holdings: UC Berkeley Libraries and the California Historical Society.
We are aware of no other examples offered on the private market.
Inkstamp "Remington Collection" in lower margin, with number 9357 stamped in lower blank portion of map.