Cartographic Establishment of Alexey Ilyin
The Cartographic Establishment of A. Ilyin was founded in 1859 by General Staff officers Alexey Ilyin (1832-1889) and Vladimir Poltoratsky (1830-1886). The firm was originally known as the Chromolithography of Poltoratsky, Ilyin and Co., but after Poltoratsky’s departure in 1864, its name was changed to solely reflect Ilyin’s stewardship.
Ilyin had served as cartographer for the Military Topographic Depot of the General Staff and was eventually promoted to the rank of Lieutenant-General. He thus had privileged access to government map archives, granting him a great competitive edge over his rivals.
After the death of Alexey Afinogenovich, one of his sons, Alexey Alexeevich Ilyin (1857-1942) assumed control over the firm. By 1882, the enterprise reached its zenith, producing up to 6 million impressions, accounting for around 90% of all civilian cartographic products published in Russia. The company prospered until it was nationalized following the Communist Revolution of 1917.
Showing the single result
[Map of Steamship Routes and the Railways and Post Roads of the Russian Empire]
In-progress construction of the Trans-Siberian Railway: a scarce wall map depicting the transportation network of the Russian Empire at the end of the 19th century.Cartographer(s): Cartographic Establishment of Alexey IlyinPlace/Date: St. Petersburg / 1898$1,850 Add to cart