Pittsburgh in 1912: Mueller’s Large County Road Map at the Moment the Automobile Was Rewriting Every Road in Allegheny County.
Allegheny County, Pennsylvania. Published by A.H. Mueller & Co., 2nd & 340 Locust St., Philadelphia, PA.
$475
1 in stock
Description
This large-format road and township map of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, published by A.H. Mueller & Co. of Philadelphia in 1912, captures a county in mid-transformation — industrial power already established, automotive infrastructure still being built. The three rivers converge at the center of the composition in the dense street grid of Pittsburgh, by 1912 the headquarters of United States Steel, the world’s first billion-dollar corporation, and the defining industrial city of American life. Around it, Mueller has mapped all of the county’s townships and boroughs in color-coded detail, and across the whole he has classified every road as macadam, plank, or under construction — a document of the moment when the automobile was beginning to expose the inadequacy of the county’s inherited road network and demand something better.
The Map in Detail
The county fills the sheet in its characteristic diamond orientation, bordered by Butler County to the north, Beaver County to the west, Washington County to the southwest, and Westmoreland County to the east. The color scheme is immediately readable: pink for incorporated boroughs, yellow-cream for townships, with the gray-black mass of Pittsburgh’s street grid dominating the center at the three-river confluence. Rail lines radiate outward from the city; waterways thread the county in blue-teal.
All townships and boroughs are labeled in bold capitals. The northwestern arc runs from Sewickley and Sewickley Heights through Ohio, Aleppo, Kilbuck, Moon, and Findlay along the Ohio River corridor. The northern band covers Marshall, Pine, and Richland through McCandless, Hampton, Ross, and Shaler to Indiana, O’Hara, Harmar, and West Deer. The eastern and southeastern townships — Penn, Plum, Wilkins, Patton, Mifflin, Baldwin, Bethel, Snowden, Jefferson, Elizabeth, Versailles, and North Versailles — complete the ring, with McKeesport prominent at the Monongahela-Youghiogheny confluence. Kennedy, Stowe, Chartiers, Collier, Scott, North Fayette, and South Fayette anchor the western and southwestern sides.
The road guide at the lower center is the map’s most historically charged feature. It distinguishes three categories: improved macadam roads, plank roads, and roads under construction. By 1912 the plank road — once a nineteenth-century improvement over dirt tracks — was a genuinely obsolete technology, its wooden surfaces rotting and wholly inadequate for motor vehicles. Macadam roads represented the current standard. Roads marked under construction were being built or upgraded to serve the automobile traffic that the Model T, introduced just four years earlier, was beginning to generate in earnest. The tripartite classification is a snapshot of the county’s road network caught between two eras.
Inset features include a distance table for Allegheny County at the lower left and a small separate panel — labeled “Forward / Stub Plan” — for Forward Township, which lies outside the main map’s geometric bounds and required its own panel.
Historical Context
In 1912, Allegheny County was the center of American steel production and the headquarters of United States Steel Corporation, formed in 1901 when J.P. Morgan purchased Carnegie Steel in the largest industrial transaction in American history to that point. The Edgar Thomson Works in Braddock, the Homestead Works across the Monongahela, and McKeesport’s National Tube Works collectively made the Monongahela Valley the productive core of the global steel industry. The Pittsburgh Survey — a landmark social science investigation of urban industrial conditions conducted between 1907 and 1914 — was simultaneously documenting the human costs of that productivity in the county’s mill towns and working-class neighborhoods.
The road network Mueller documents was straining under new demands. The Good Roads Movement, originally driven in the 1890s by cyclists and farmers, had by 1912 been thoroughly captured by the automobile lobby — the American Automobile Association, founded 1902, and a rising coalition of motorists who found the county’s patchwork of macadam, plank, and dirt roads genuinely impassable in wet weather. Pennsylvania would begin its first systematic state highway program in the years immediately following this map’s publication. The roads marked under construction on Mueller’s map were the leading edge of that effort.
Publication History and Census
Published by A.H. Mueller & Co., 2nd & 340 Locust St., Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Copyright 1912 by A.H. Mueller, Phila. Pa. Scarce in recorded collections; Penn State has an earlier edition but otherwise no institutional representation.
Cartographer(s):
Published by A.H. Mueller & Co., 2nd & 340 Locust St., Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, c. 1890s. Mueller was a prolific producer of Pennsylvania county maps and atlases in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, with known works ranging from the 1890s through at least 1916. His firm specialized in detailed county and township mapping for the greater Philadelphia region and beyond, emphasizing road conditions, property boundaries, and municipal organization.
Condition Description
Good. Wear along fold lines and loss at fold intersections.
References