Rand, McNally & Co.
In 1856, William H. Rand opened a printing shop in Chicago and two years later hired a newly arrived Irish immigrant, Andrew McNally, to work in his shop. In 1868, the two men, along with Rand’s nephew George Amos Poole, established Rand McNally & Co. and bought the Tribune’s printing business. The company initially focused on printing tickets and timetables for Chicago’s booming railroad industry, and the following year supplemented that business by publishing complete railroad guides.
The first Rand McNally map, created using a new cost-saving wax engraving method, appeared in the December 1872 edition of its Railroad Guide. Rand McNally became an incorporated business in 1873; with Rand as its president, McNally as vice president, and George Poole as treasurer.
Rand McNally published its first road map, the New Automobile Road Map of New York City & Vicinity, in 1904.
Showing all 3 results
South San Francisco. Issued By The South San Francisco Land & Improvement Co.
Large-format c. 1890 Rand McNally promotional map of South San Francisco.Place/Date: Chicago / ca. 1890$2,600 Add to cart